Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Moving WSS from Development Environment

Asked By: Kari    Date: Mar 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 857

We are preparing to move our WSS sites from the development environment to the production environment. Our plan is to perform a complete backup and then restore into the new environment. Are there any best practices for making this happen? Is there a preferred method for pointing the WSS to the new domain?

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Mar 08

How well does the Sharepoint migration tool work?

Answer #2    Answered By: Alyssa Butler     Answered On: Mar 08

I would recommend using STSADM. SMIGRATE will not move  over your security descriptors where as STSADM will provide this functionality. To my knowledge, the only changes you may need to make would be to any links that reference other sharepoint sites. Those will no longer be valid.

Answer #3    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Mar 08

Take a look at this for information about using Smigrate for keeping the user mappings and security settings...

Answer #4    Answered By: Ana Payne     Answered On: Mar 08

WSS has a few migration utilities, stsadm and smigrate. STSADM is for site collections and brings along all security settings. SMigrate is for sites  and webs (so if you have /sites/jason/white and you want to have /sites/jason and /sites/white, you can use Smigrate to move  white up). It is possible to keep the permissions by creating a security map using Smigrate as well, which Keith Richie ( http://blogs.msdn.com/krichie) details on his blog.

Also, you might be interested in checking out the following MSDN article about the types of backups that are possible:

Answer #5    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Mar 08

I presume you're using just stsadm for your backup? One tool you might want to get is the WSSUserUtil from Keith Richie's site (http://blogs.msdn.com/krichie) as it will remap the usernames for you so that you don't have to go in and do that.

Not quite sure what you mean in your last question pertaining to pointing  the WSS to the new domain.

Answer #6    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: Mar 08

I will give the tool you mentioned a try. We are moving  between domains with different naming conventions, and I just want to make sure that WSS does not have any issues.

Answer #7    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: Mar 08

you can also try a tool at www.webfox.ca called SharePoint 2003
Backup Elite SC, it will allow you to easily move/migrate many sites
and sub sites  to another server much quicker and retain permissions
easily. Will probably save you quite a bit of time,

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Moving WSS from Development Environment Or get search suggestion and latest updates.