Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Moving a Server Farm

Asked By: Cara    Date: Nov 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 796

Scenario: I have a client who has a single server implementation, including SQL on the SharePoint box. They want to implement a medium server farm with a single front-end. Do you think I can just add the two servers to the existing farm (WFE/Search & Index/Job) and then decommissions the SharePoint roles on the existing server, effectively making it a SQL Server? In theory, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work, but I’d like to get this group’s collective wisdom and/or experience.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Chantal Rosa     Answered On: Nov 18

That should work  fine. The only issues that I’ve really had is when I try to change the SQL server  – that requires a backup/restore.. As long as you are leaving that in place, you should be able to scale out without much concern.

You can (should) always make your backup first, and then if something doesn’t go quite right you always have the option to setup the new farm  from scratch and then restore onto it.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Moving a Server Farm Or get search suggestion and latest updates.