Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Move share point portal server 2003 from one domain to another in ADS

Asked By: Chaim    Date: Sep 16    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 3346

I want to move share point portal server 2003 from one domain to another in ADS.

Please tell me that PSS has a tool for it, Todd please tell me from where I can download this tool,

I anybody from group have move information for the same please reply me urgently.

Please let me if you have any more knowledge to move spp2003 from one domain to another.

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Percy Beach     Answered On: Sep 16

If I was moving a farm from one domain  to another, I’d backup the entire farm, tear it down, build a new farm in the new domain, restore the old farm and ensure there is at trust relationship exists between the old domain and the new domain. SharePoint doesn’t recognize the SID history attribute of a user account, so the trust will be essential until everyone can move  the permissions for everyone in the sites to the new accounts in the new domain.

Answer #2    Answered By: Mary Adams     Answered On: Sep 16

Actually I want to move  it from a child domain  to forest root domain in same organization and the Transitive trusts between parent and child are automatically built.

I just want to physically move SPP 2003 Server from SUB OFFICE (Child domain) to HEAD OFFICE (Forest root domain).

In this way I need another hardware machine to configure with forest root domain and restore backup of existing child domain machine, is it possible to move same machine without built new farm.

Answer #3    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Sep 16

I guess I’m not understanding why you’d need to make this move. It would seem to me that if you used domain  accounts in the first place, that you don’t need to do a domain migration here. Can you leave up a single AD server  in the child domain? That would make the most sense to me. Perhaps I’m not fully understanding the context……………

Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Sep 16

Our server  farm supports users from 12 different domains.
Unless you are using some other than default authentication or security method
in IIS it doesnt really matter what domain  your farm servers live in.

Answer #5    Answered By: Katy Patton     Answered On: Sep 16

Explain you in detail,

Existing share  Point portal  Server 2003 was installed two years ago in sub office of our organization it has 200 sites and total 20GB database size and now the company is planning to shift his server  in Head Office and in future this child domain  should be removed.

Now Existing share point  portal server is configured with child domain controller Widows 2003, server name is PP and its fully qualified domain name is pp.pro.maq.net, service account of existing share point portal server is also created in windows 2003 child domain controller server name sppadmin and all SQL server services and portal services are running with this account.

Existing share point portal server IP address is

Now we are planning to shift it in head office with same name and reconfigure it with maq.net domain with a new service account, should be created in windows 2003 forest root domain controller server and change its IP Address

I think now you have understand all scenario and please suggest me the all possible ways to shift it from child domain to parent domain.

Answer #6    Answered By: Ana Payne     Answered On: Sep 16

Moving the servers between domains will change your sids

You need to tear down the farm, move  the servers, recreate the farm

The video “moving farm to another set of servers” on the premium content part of the mind sharp web site www.mindsharp.com walks you through this

Its no biggie but it is what you will need to do to move the servers to a new domain  if you want to ensure they work

Answer #7    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Sep 16

In addition, you’ll need to leave up the child domain  until every part of SharePoint can be re-configured with root domain accounts. This includes Central Admin, all your site collection and site accounts too.

This is where DeliverPoint would come in extremely handy. www.barracudatools.com.

Answer #8    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: Sep 16

In test server  environment I have successfully restore the server frame with a small size database.

Now I am facing a problem to restore another database and its size is 7 GB, the following error message log as restore process start.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: SharePoint portal  Server Backup

Event Category: None

Event ID: 0

Date: 9/14/2006

Time: 9:02:32 PM

User: N/A

Computer: SPP

SQL Server restore failed. Error: There is not enough disk space on server SPP\PP to complete the database TESTSPP_SITE operation. Increase the space available and try again. , Server: SPP\PP, Database: TESTSPP_SITE, Backup location: D:\Sites\TESTSPP140906-IFLPORTAL$portal-TESTSPP_SITE.SPB

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

22 GB free space on D:\ drive where SQL Server database (D:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$PP\Data) and

12 GB free space on C:\ drive (C:\Program Files\SharePoint Portal Server\Bin)

The backup size of portal to is 7GB.

Please let me that how much free space is required on ( C: and D: ) to restore backup.

Or any other reason regarding this error message, I have restore small size backup on same machine successfully.