MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

MOSS Licensing

  Asked By: Nadia    Date: Oct 04    Category: MOSS    Views: 1269

Can somebody please shed some light for me on the licensing?

From MS, the price for MOSS is around $5K (I'm assuming this is the Standard
version) and the price for MOSS Search Enterprise Edition is $58K. Is the MOSS
Search Enterprise Edition the Enterprise version for MOSS or just for Search?
Will I need a copy of the Enterprise version on each server if I have large
server farm?

I guess the bottom line is, what licensing do I need to buy in order to get the
all the MOSS Enterprise features, i.e., BDC, Form Server, Excel Services, etc?



6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Oct 04

MOSS licensing  can be complicated, you just haven't found the right resource

The answer to your question depends on whether your environment: Is this for
Intranet use? For public facing use? Or for Extranet use?

For Intranet, you need a MOSS server  license for each MOSS server in a farm plus
two (2) CALs for every staff member: 1 Standard CAL + 1 enterprise  CAL. (That's
correct, the CALs are additive!)

For public facing, there are no CALs: you only need MOSSFIS (Microsoft Office
SharePoint Server for Internet Sites) to get ALL SharePoint enterprise
functionality. And, yes, you need a MOSSFIS license for EVERY server in the

Hope this helps get you started. I wrote some blog posts a while ago that may
help explain this (though there are many resources that may also help):

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Oct 04

This is just my opinion, but I'd suggest, if you haven't yet, start
using WSS3. I think a lot of organizations (ahem...us included) buy
MOSS without really knowing if they need the advanced features  MOSS
brings above and beyond WSS3. And now that MS offers free search
components, I think that argument has even more validity.

WSS3 gives you a LOT of functionality for very little cost. MOSS gives
you a bit more functionality at a high cost.

As for licensing, the main cost is the CAL licenses. You need CALs for
MOSS and then additional CALs for Enterprise.

The best way to figure this out is to talk to a couple of different MS
sales reps and pick the one that gives you the best deal.

Answer #3    Answered By: Isidro Berger     Answered On: Oct 04

Also keep in mind that both MOSS and WSS require Windows Server licenses and
CALs in addition to the licenses already mentioned.

Answer #4    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: Oct 04

For public facing SharePoint farms, we were told we also need to license
Windows Connectors? This is the first we heard of this . is anyone familiar
with this?

Also, we were told we need MSDN subscriptions for each person who touches
our DEV and QA internal SharePoint. How are you licensing  your DEV and QA
Internal SharePoint environments?

Answer #5    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Oct 04

The Windows External Connector is the rough equivalent of the MOSS
Internet license - it's required instead of CALs for external,
non-employee users. The External Connector model is also what is used
in SPS2003.

Answer #6    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: Oct 04

What free search  components are you referring to?

Can the search in WSS 3.0 do Boolean searches?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on MOSS Licensing Or get search suggestion and latest updates.