Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Moss 2007 variations

Asked By: Grace    Date: Jun 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2038

In MOSS 2007 I created a site with 2 variations. After a while i wanted to remove variations from setup menu. i deleted them from the hierarchy menu. however when i turn back to the site, in spite of the site was not deleted -only variation removed- i got the error "object reference not set to an instance of an object". do you have any idea on this? is it possible to remove variations lossless?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Jun 22

Variation concepts:

The labels are different objects from the sites created.

You can partially or completely remove the hierarchy by removing one or more labels.

TIP: Remove the Source label last. SharePoint will let you remove the Source label first and then the hierarchy relationships are destroyed but the redirection and sites still work. No changes are pushed out anymore: All sites are managed separately and uniquely.

SharePoint will also permit you to create a NEW Source Label but the relationship with the target sites is not recreated.

After removing all the labels, you must remove the root designation. There is no delete, just clear the box and click OK.

Finally, you will probably want to go to Site Settings for the root site and change the default page back to a page other than the redirection page.

All the sites still work, if addressed.

If you no longer want them, delete them as appropriate.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Moss 2007 variations Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: