MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

MOSS 2007 Site Content and Structure: Copy vs Move

Asked By: Angie    Date: Dec 01    Category: MOSS    Views: 1747

When using Site Content and Structure to copy/move list items to a new list within the same site, which method is best. Will I receive different results if I select copy vs move?

Background and Previous Steps:
The customer would like to move items from a custom list to a Task list to receive alerts when tasks are assigned.
I create a new task list, created new columns based on the custom list. Then used Site Content and Structure to copy items to the target list. As a result, the target (Task list) had duplicate column names, missing data and no views where copied over.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Davon Henson     Answered On: Dec 01

Certain field types (eg., richtext, custom fields...) will put your datasheet view in read-only mode. You can try SharePoint content  deployment wizard or Gary's stsadm extensions to do an export/import of your list. Saving the list as a template will not retain all the necessary information (eg., modified by, created by, file versions etc. will be lost).

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on MOSS 2007 Site Content and Structure: Copy vs Move Or get search suggestion and latest updates.