MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

MOSS 2007 architecture assistance

Asked By: Keaton    Date: Nov 29    Category: MOSS    Views: 821

Is there any way to set up differing web application settings based upon a managed path within 2007? Here's what I'm trying to do:

Portal Level - This would be reserved for our portal page and supporting areas, pretty much going back to SPS terminology here. No active quotas or content expiration at this level.

Self Service - This would be WSSv3, but reserved for temporary or project-based sites. There would be a limited quota (100mb?) and we would enable alerts and site deletion after 90 or 180 days. This would be a tool to allow users to quickly get a site put together, and if it works for them, we can discuss migrating them to a premium site.

Premium - For lack of a better word, these would be more entrenched permanent sites with a larger quota and no inactivity alerts.

Is there anyway to do this while maintaining a consistent naming presence? I'd rather not use site-selfserve, site-premium, site-portal, etc. as that seems a little tacky. In a perfect world, I would be able to assign these quota and self-service settings based upon a managed path, but I don't see that functionality here.

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Nov 29

Application level settings are for the scope of the application which would include any site collections within the application whether at the root or within managed paths.

You may want to consider using DNS to maintain URL consistency for separate applications or grouping of application namespaces using child DNS domains.

Example: www.contoso.msft is points to an application.

However, projects.contoso.msft is only a child domain so that project1.projects.contoso.msft points to an application and project2.projects.contoso.msft points to another application while premium.contoso.msft is another child domain holding another set of applications.

You can have a consistent naming convention for managed paths for all the applications to maintain the appearance of URL consistency.

3rd party tools are available for moving site collections from one application to another application.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on MOSS 2007 architecture assistance Or get search suggestion and latest updates.