MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

MOSS 07 Installation Quirks - SSRS Connectivity & SSP Permissions

Asked By: Ganesh    Date: Feb 11    Category: MOSS    Views: 697

I'm new to MOSS 07 and am currently learning it. I've done clean installs and post-install configuration a few times now and I've noticed 2 quirks associated with a fresh install. I'm not sure what is going on or the best way to "fix" them.

1 - I install SQL 05 with SSRS prior to installing MOSS and I always check to make sure that SSRS is configured and I can connect to it in the SQL Management Studio. Once the Default port 80 Web App is provisioned, however, I can no longer connect to SSRS via the SQL MS. I understand that this is related to the fact that the default Web App that hosts the SSRS sites is the Default 80 Web Site and that this port is taken over by the SharePoint 80 portal. My question is, how to handle this. I understand that I can configure SSRS to run via SP Integration. However, when I install SSRS 05 initially and prior to installing/configuring MOSS, should SSRS be installed under a separate Web App and Port than the Default? Does SP Integration restore the ability to connect to SSRS via the SQL Mang. Studio?

2 - In an attempt to get used to a "production" way of doing things, I create Domain Service accounts for both installing MOSS and running the services. My problem is with the results of using an installation account. I call it "spinstall" and a wierd thing happens that I'm not sure why or how to correct it. What happens is that once the Install is done, I normally use an administrator account for configuration. However, after I first provision the Shared Services Provider there are several areas in SSP that I cannot access with the Administrator account, but only with the "spinstall" account. These include the following configuration zones:

"User profiles and properties"
"Profile service policies"
"My Site settings"
"Import application definition"

I can access all these configuration areas with the "spinstall" account, but even if I explicitly add the Administrator account with Full Control to the SSP site, I cannot log into the above 5 areas with the Admin. account. I have even tried adding the Administrator account to the 3 special WSS groups in AD (only one of which does "spinstall" have): WSS_WPG, WSS_ADMIN_WPG, WSS_RESTRICTED_WPG. This has no effect either. I have also noticed that "spservice" has rights to these 5 areas.

So what is going on here? How do I grant permissions to these 5 areas in the SSP for something other than service accounts?

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Jagat Pandit     Answered On: Feb 11

For #1 You can use the same default  web application  but with different port  number(say 800).

I doubt once your SSRS is configured  to run  in Integrated mode you no longer  get ability  to connect  to SSRS via the SQL Mang. Studio

Answer #2    Answered By: Jerod Carrillo     Answered On: Feb 11

Not sure if it is improved, but it is definitely different. Once you've installed  the SSRS Add-in for MOSS 2007 you can go to Operations and then you will find the Report Server options under the Reporting Services section.