Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Modular Web Parts and sharing with other Team Sites?

Asked By: Zackary    Date: Apr 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 6755

One of the fundamental functions of SharePoint Portal Server, as I understood it, was the ability to share Web Parts across different team sites. Can anyone help me out as to where a document exist where I can research how to share a web part from one team site to another.

Example to clarify: I'm a Human Resource group that has a couple of web parts within my organization. "Health Benefits" with all of the latest forms and links to documents and maybe a "Contact List" for all of the people within the organization. I maintain this web part add to and remove as people or documents change. As new people are brought onto the company they are given a "My Site" where I inform them to add certain web parts to assist their transition. Now they have all of the information needed for orientation. Since this is dynamic I make changes in one and it changes all.

Is this possible or did I just miss the boat completely?

Any and all resources is greatly appreciated.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Collin Griffith     Answered On: Apr 18

If I understand your post correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong).....

You can't "share" web  parts across team  sites. You can create a web part  and install it in multiple web part pages. The web part itself is able to tunnel back to a single data source so that information  updated in the data source will update on all installations of the web part. But I don't know of a way - nor have I heard of a way - to write a web part, install it on multiple web part pages, then update the original web part and have that update of the web part itself replicate to all current installations of the web part.

Does this make sense?

Answer #2    Answered By: Scott Nelson     Answered On: Apr 18

I am assuming the web  part that you have created is reading from custom

customize the web part  the way you want it. Save it as a template (STS
file). Import that template in site  Template Gallery. Now you can see the
template in any site (or area) created under the site where you imported it.

With what Bill have described about the data tunnel, it should yield the
desired results.

PS: Using FP you can create a data source pointing to the web part list  in
catalog and can get the same results.

Let me know if this solved your problem.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Modular Web Parts and sharing with other Team Sites? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.