Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

How to modify VariationRoot and deploy through a feature?

Asked By: Gaurang    Date: Mar 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 854

We would need to modify the default behavior of the VariationRoot page. We always want it to redirect to the root variation language rather than the language of the user browser.

What's the best way to do this? We need to deploy it through one of our features. Will this work considering the VariationRootPageLayout.aspx file is already a part of the existing PublishingResources feature?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Micheal Knight     Answered On: Mar 26

VariationRoot is just a page  provisioned as soon as you do anything with Feature. The default  behavior is indeed annoying and many customers don't like the way it works. The way I deal with this situation is: I create an ordinary Publishing Page, set it as the Welcome Page and then put the custom redirection Web part  on it. This web part wraps all the redirecting logic. I'm sure there are other ways to achieve this like using HttpModules for example but creating a Publishing Page and a Web Parts seems quite straight-forward to me.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on How to modify VariationRoot and deploy through a feature? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: