Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Migrating from WMSDE

Asked By: Keaton    Date: May 04    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 555

I’ve found the following article that explains the process of migrating from WMSDE to SQL Server and have a question or two?

The article breaks the process down into two main areas – if you’re going to have SQL on the one box, or add it to the server farm.

Since I’m only running a SPS2003 single server environment, is it possible to simply add the SQL box into the picture and have the DB reside there? Any implications with doing it that way?

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: May 04

Not really sure exactly what you are asking here but I will try and answer.

Are you asking this: You are currently running  SPS2003 with MSDE both residing on the same server  and you want to migrate to one server running SPS2003 and another running SQL? You can do this pretty easily. You can follow the instructions in the document. I would probably detach the databases, move them to the new DB Server, attach, and then open central admin and repoint (not the microsoft  recommended way).

Are you asking if you have a single  server with SPS2003 and upgrade to SQL server if you can add  a second SQL server later and Migrate? The answer is yes. You can easily migrate the databases to a different server in the future by detaching, migrating, and reattaching just like in the first instance.

Answer #2    Answered By: Harshini Raju     Answered On: May 04

Sorry… It’s the first scenario that you identified below. I was getting a bit confused considering the document stated (or at least that’s how I interpreted it) you should have a front end web server  etc….

Are there any problems with the way you suggested? I’m just wondering out loud why MS would not recommend it that way.

Answer #3    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: May 04

Here's what MS says

1. Install the SQL server  client tools on the original server running  WMSDE and SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3). The client tools are used to back up and restore the content and configuration databases. The version of WMSDE that is installed with Windows SharePoint Services does not enable remote connections from SQL Server client tools.

2. Prepare the destination database server by installing SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3).

3. In IIS, stop any virtual servers that are hosting SharePoint sites, so that users cannot access the sites.

4. Disconnect the content databases from the virtual server and remove Windows SharePoint Services from the virtual server.

5. Decide which domain accounts to use for the SharePoint Central Administration virtual server and the content virtual servers, and then update the SharePoint Central Administration virtual server to use the domain account.

You can use the same account for both SharePoint Central Administration and the other virtual servers, or for more granular security, you can choose to use different accounts.

6. Register the instance of WMSDE in SQL Server Enterprise Manager, and then back up the content and configuration databases.

7. Copy the backup files to the destination server and restore the content and configuration databases.

8. In SQL Server, change the database ownership and permissions for the configuration and content databases.

9. Reconnect to the configuration database.

10. Extend the content virtual server and add  the restored content databases to the virtual server.

11. Update the default content database server for future content database creation.

This is the key steps to completion. The reason mine is a little different is that sometimes, even if you stop the IIS apps you will have trouble disconnecting the databases from sharepoint in central admin. Therefore, the part that is not the recommended path is the "detaching while open connections are there". But since you are going to have to bring SP down to migrate anywow closing the connections should not be a big deal. If this is the case you can simply detach them and when it prompts you about open connections say "Close all Open Connections" or whatever the similar worded choice is. I think the hardest and most important factor on this kind of migration are the upgrading from WMSDE and configuring all of the permissions and users on the new server. You will want to make sure you are using a domain account for these.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Migrating from WMSDE Or get search suggestion and latest updates.