Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Migrating from a small server farm to a medium server farm

Asked By: Travon    Date: Apr 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 884

Does anyone have any advice or know of any white papers etc for
migrating from a small server farm to a medium server farm ?

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Apr 22

Look at the Live Meetings on t Midsharp's Premium Content site: https://www.mindsharp.com/Default.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Apr 22

I did that (especially the bit about building a server  farm) – however, the problem is that I have a small  farm that has been bespoked over time and so I was wondering how you ensure that the web parts are installed on both machines, how to ensure all the css changes are replicated and how, when you already have an index on a front end server, you can move this to the server assigned the index / job role without having to reindex hundreds of gigs of data

I’ve asked Microsoft and they seem to have no white  papers or best practice for doing this sort of thing

Answer #3    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Apr 22

I should be looking at “HowtoMoveaPortalFarmfromOneSetofServerstoAnother.avi” D’oh

I guess I just need to restore to one server  mainly for the metabase etc to move all the web parts

Answer #4    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Apr 22

OK – I’ve now watched that avi

Does this mean I have to tear down the whole portal and do a restore to add an additional wfe server  and index server ?

Cant I just leave the db’s in place and then backup and restore the virtual server files and metabase and backup and restore the index to a new server using spbackup ?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Migrating from a small server farm to a medium server farm Or get search suggestion and latest updates.