Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Migrating Portal to a New IIS Machine - Tips and Tricks

Asked By: Ryan    Date: Nov 25    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 949

My network admins are going through another round of server consolidation, and my dedicated Sharepoint Portal 2003 box has been tapped to go to a new server.

Right now I have a dedicate '03 server running SPS 03 - attached to a separate SQL Server database server. The entire set up is behind our firewall, part of our company domain.

Been looking for info on what I need to be concerned about - I assume that I can…

1. Install SPS 2003 on the new machine
2. Join it to the existing configuration - making a IIS "farm"
3. Move any services / tasks off of Box 1 onto Box 2
4. Remove Box 1 from the farm and be done.

Is this right or am I missing something?

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Dominick Blake     Answered On: Nov 25

Best practice would be to back up your databases, remove your server  from all the server farm roles, then create a new config db on the new server, install SPS fully patched, then restore your databases and let it configure the config db on the fly. Also, backup and restore your indexes too.

Answer #2    Answered By: Randall Hunt     Answered On: Nov 25

This is the right step.

When you remove the box from the farm, make sure to uninstall Sharepoint. Also you may have some customization that are stored on the file server  that you need to copy as well

Answer #3    Answered By: Joe Hart     Answered On: Nov 25

My current installation is NOT patched - does that change anything?

Also - I am confused about the backup and restore. Since the databases are on a seperate, dedicated  SQL Server machine, why touch them at all? Isn't it more an issue of redirecting the connection strings?

Answer #4    Answered By: Jorge Cole     Answered On: Nov 25

The patch levels must match in order to restore the databases.

It doesn’t matter where the databases are. It does matter what the configuration thinks about the server  farm. If you like the way you outlined it, give it a try. If it doesn’t work, then use my suggestions as a fall-back.

Answer #5    Answered By: Rodolfo Tate     Answered On: Nov 25

The procedure you described is right assuming your SQL Server is not changing. What Bill describes involves porting a complete Sharepoint install to an other farm

Answer #6    Answered By: Jesus Foster     Answered On: Nov 25

Thanks. I will not patch the new server  - until everything is stable after the migration. Unless there is some real need to do it before hand.

I am not finding much of any information on this topic - but the help files do outline what is involved in adding and removing a server - so that is why I was considering that route.

I get to try all this this weekend, so I'll report back as to how it went.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Migrating Portal to a New IIS Machine - Tips and Tricks Or get search suggestion and latest updates.