Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Migrate Business Data Column in Sharepoint list

Asked By: Jakob    Date: Jan 10    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1264

I have added a business data column onto a sharepoint list. The business data has been associated and the list is completed and ready to be deployed but it's causing the deployment to fail. I have tried to move the list to a subsite using a template was supposed to contain the data - but the data was lost. I have also tried to create a template of the list on a subsite without the content, and use copy from the Management tool to try to copy the data - and it pulled in the non-business data columns but would not pull in the business data.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Sumitra 2004     Answered On: Jan 10

I think while migrating(by creating list  templates with or without data) list with some look-up fields or bdc columns  will loss the columns and this seems to be a common problem. I think instead of creating the List template  you create  a List Definition as like site definition. Or else export that List through stsadm.exe utility (this will be crude way to do and I cant assure the exact end results).

Regarding the content  Migration tool  failure in case of BDC data: I think the technical reason is, BDC pulls data  from external LOB which is not-all known to SharePoint. In that the data pulled-up is in readonly fashion. Thus even if the migration tool is actually pushing the same data into the bdc column, the column  will allow it (blame it to readonly nature) it will fail  to do so.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Migrate Business Data Column in Sharepoint list Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: