Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

MicrodeX: A new Microsoft specific search engine I've created...

Asked By: Alexandria    Date: Dec 05    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 758

I needed an easier easier way to search for SharePoint (and other) content on the Microsoft web sites ...so I created a search engine specifically for this purpose.

Checkout http://www.parallelspace.net/microdex. Search for something related to SharePoint (e.g. SharePoint) ...then click on one of the "refinements" to narrow your search: Architect, Support, News, IT Pro, Developer, etc.

Some additional details here: www.dotnetjunkies.com/.../160078.aspx

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Dec 05

A number of people have asked the question "Why MicrodeX?" Here's an answer from http://www.parallelspace.net/microdex home page:
Why MicrodeX?

1. Hand-selected web  sites. MicrodeX includes all of the known Microsoft product group private web sites  (e.g. www.asp.net).

2. Optimized refinements. Refinement links at the top of the search  results help focus your search using specific  Microsoft-speak - jargon that Microsoft product groups use to describe their products and technologies.

3. Experience. MicrodeX staff have been building Windows-based solutions for more than 20 years (including 10+ years working for Microsoft). We know their web sites, their language and how they organize them.

Answer #2    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: Dec 05

Your Microdex marketing ploy does not belong on this discussion
board; to prove the point, I created  an MSDex site (with the same
functionality) via the Google Co-op in about 5 minutes. There is
nothing special to it. Let's stick to the subject at hand. Go tout
your money making schemes elsewhere.

Answer #3    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: Dec 05

Your comments aren't valid. You have no idea what the list of sites  are that are being searched (which may be a problem in it's own right) or the specific  vocabulary chosen for the refinements.

You may have created  something that looks the same but it won't have much value if you created it in 5 minutes.

As for making any money, $1.33/week won't buy a loaf of bread. Don't assume web  pages with Googles ads makae any or or a lot of money.

Answer #4    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: Dec 05

While I don't find these particularly helpful, Lawrence Liu also created
one of this sharepoint  only search  thingies...