Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

MCMS 2002 Template Explorer could not open

Asked By: Ganesh    Date: May 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1120

We have a MCMS 2002 Server contains three Sites which share the same template, therefore, having the same style.

We would like to separate the template, so that each site can have its own style.

As MCMS 2002 is new to me, I have questions below:

1) How do I open the MCMS solution file with MCMS Template Explorer? I got error message: "Could not get the root gallery" when I open the MCMS solution file.

When the solution is opened, I got message "Could not open the MCMS Template Explorer. You may not have rights to view Templates or a server connection could not be established. Please make sure that you have rights to view Templates and open the project again." in the MCMS Template Explorer. I am an Administrator of the server.

2) How does template and aspx file link together?( I have the source code of MCMS solution, but don't understand the mechanism of how aspx file import to the MCMS as template.)

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Gaurav Nemane     Answered On: May 18

1) It's not enough to be local administrator. You have to give you some rights in MCMS. To do this you go in Site Manager, you select "User roles" and then you add your account to the group "Administrators"

2) ASPX files (known as Template) are link to template  gallery in Site Manager. When you create or modify a template in Visual Studio you will deploy the ASPX page to Q/A server and production Server. You also have to deploy the template that is in the template gallery that is store in the database. To extract the template, go in Site Manager and navigate to you template and export it as a package (a file with the .SDO extension will be create). Then import the SDO on the Q/A and production server with Site Manager. You will have to be a member of the "Administrators" group of MCMS to do that.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on MCMS 2002 Template Explorer could not open Or get search suggestion and latest updates.