Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Managing word templates in doc library -> Create new document

Asked By: Mrigendra    Date: May 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 9020

I want to manage word templates (dotx) in a document library in SharePoint. One employee is creating and editing them and all others shall use them. But when I save a template in the library and open it, it opens the template and does not create a new document as it would do if I would open it on the hard drive or open it via the Windows Explorer (WebDAV to SharePoint).

Is there a way around this behaviour? I know, that you can use Content Types and assign the template as a template there, but that's no practical way in this case.

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Shayla Mcbride     Answered On: May 02

In SharePoint, when you click to open  a document, it assumes you want to edit it. That's why when you click on a Word template  in SP it wants to edit it instead of creating  a new document.

The preferred solution to this is to use content  types; however, I know  you said it wasn't possible. As a workaround, you could create  a document library  dedicated to Word templates, set the default view to explorer  view, and restrict access to only the person who will be editing  the templates. That way, when the users try to open the templates, it will create a new document  for them.

Answer #2    Answered By: Jarvis Rowe     Answered On: May 02

Would work, but has some side-effects, e.g. that it doesn't work when you log on to SharePoint with another user, than the one you are logged on to Windows.

But I found a solution: I create  a WebPart with SharePoint-Designer, which creates a link to the _layouts/download.aspx-page with the parameter SourceURL pointing to the word  file. This way, the file is downloaded and open  locally, with the effect, that Word creates a new document  of the template.

Answer #3    Answered By: David Price     Answered On: Sep 28

I am also faced with the ame issue, but with 400 plus templates, these are currently .dotm or macro enabled documents. We need one person to manage/update and all other users to be able to open  and save  a copy locally on a network drive  away from SharePoint.

Sorry but I dont follow Jarvis's comment.

Tagged: