Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Live Communications Server

Asked By: Herman    Date: Oct 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 756

Is there something I need to do to connect LCS with SPS? I’ve got LCS installed and running properly. But the person name smart tags don’t include the person’s IM presence settings. Any ideas or documentation that anyone knows of on this?

Share: 

9 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Oct 08

yes from what i can tell the Smart tags  use exchange/outlook profile and not LCS (it looks like it queries the Free/busy data in exchange).. perhaps the order is SPPS > OFFICE Client > EXCHANGE > LCS

i havent set up the LCS, one of these "windows does everything" yahoos took care of that (nevermind the LDAP schema modifications right?). does it ask something about exchange in the config?

hmm - www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

Answer #2    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Oct 08

There’s a dearth of information on this problem in Technet and online. I keep getting documents that tout the wonderful world of LCS/SharePoint integration, but very little on how these two products actually integrate from a technical standpoint. Perhaps a call to PSS is in order here………

Answer #3    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Oct 08

interesting.. i can call people using the phone number which launches the communicator but cant open a chat session to them using the smart  tag context menu..

i need to get hooked up with the Technet and MSDN subscriptions. this is the first IT department that i have ever worked at where we didnt have

Answer #4    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Oct 08

1) Install MSN Messenger on the client. The presence  information is driven by the MSN client.

2) There are issues with appearance when the user that presence is being queried on isn’t in the user’s personal list. Office 2003 seems to fix this. There’s also a registry hack that may be necessary (let me know if you need it and I’ll look it up.)

3) Verify that the email address in the user profile matches the email address (SIP address) for LCS.

Answer #5    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: Oct 08

Seriously – how do you get along without Technet and MSDN?

Answer #6    Answered By: Deonte Stein     Answered On: Oct 08

installed  Communicator instead of Messenger thinking that Communicator was the new name/new update for Messenger. Communicator is able to connect  to LCS and so forth. I’ll try Messenger and see what happens.

Answer #7    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: Oct 08

Yep – Office Communicator is not the answer. Windows Messenger worked just find and the presence  information is now showing the persona name smart  tag in WSS.

I’ve also learned that there are three different IM clients:

MSN Messenger
Windows Messenger
Office Communicator

I’m now doing research on the differences between these three clients.

Answer #8    Answered By: Leif Cardenas     Answered On: Oct 08

Yea, And I think I told you MSN Messenger and Windows Messenger is what I meant. I believe it was a name change re: MSN to Windows. Communicator is the newest but I’ve not used it yet......

Answer #9    Answered By: Jasper Hatfield     Answered On: Oct 08

I just want to know how will I do this?
- have enabled SIP on your user accounts in Active
Directory.

This is a reply from Bill English from a thread with
subject "Activate Windows IM in Sharepoint".

What does "SIP" mean and how will I enable it? Kindly
elaborate more on this, I just want to know how will I
activate LCS on our Sharepoint portal.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Live Communications Server Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: