Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

List Templates

Asked By: Colin    Date: Jul 26    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1012

Are list templates compatible between WSS and SPS? Can I export one from WSS and drop it in SPS and expect it to work?

Share: 

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Laura Walker     Answered On: Jul 26

It is possible, but it won’t work  like you expect it to. The list  will pull the WSS interface, so when you select it, the UI will change to that of the WSS site. It is better to recreate the list in the portal.

Answer #2    Answered By: Lacey Daniels     Answered On: Jul 26

Unfortunatley I found that this isn't possible. I haven't investigated why, but
when you import a template (stp file) from portal to wss  (or vice versa) the new
destination doesn't recognize it and it's not available in the Create page.

Answer #3    Answered By: Megan Martin     Answered On: Jul 26

I suspected it would not work  and I certainly do not want the WSS interface if I am using the portal.

Answer #4    Answered By: Donta Kirkland     Answered On: Jul 26

Yes and no … The List templates  have the site definition they came from embedded in them. Technically you can rename the STP to CAB extract the manifest.xml, change the base template and put it all back… Probably not in the category of things that MS would feel good about supporting – but it’s doable.

Answer #5    Answered By: Cade Velazquez     Answered On: Jul 26

I certainly want to stay on the straight and narrow. Illegal customizations created this egg that I inherited. Funny that the end user requesting this and insisting it can be done is the golden goose.

Answer #6    Answered By: Ariana Christensen     Answered On: Jul 26

I suppose I should clarify…

There’s nothing saying they won’t support it … Manifest.XML which the list  template is made of is CAML. CAML is supposed to be supported. However, As I blogged a few weeks back, when I pressed them about a specific node in a Site Template manifest.xml, I got told it wasn’t supported. The essence was … we never intended for you to crack open the STP files and get the Manifest.xml out of it. My case was a request for a document on how to decode some binary data they had embedded in the manifest.xml.

Answer #7    Answered By: Darrius Whitfield     Answered On: Jul 26

Makes sense but I think I will put on my evil dictator hat and make them re-create their views manually. The work  involved in recreating the views manually pales in comparison to having a broken and unsupported portal and that mistake was made once already.

Answer #8    Answered By: Adrienne Greene     Answered On: Jul 26

Without editing the contents of the STP, both the LCID (1033 for
English) and the Site Definition ID (1 for Team Sites, 2 for Meeting
Workspaces, various other numbers up to 36 for SPS Areas, and 10000 or
more for your custom site definitions) must be the same for the STP to
show up. This is true for both custom List Templates and custom Web
Templates.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on List Templates Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: