Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

List Item - Copy & Modify functionality

Asked By: Jameson    Date: Apr 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1651

For Items in a List, I am looking for Copy & Modify functionality. Something like on the item display form I can add a simple button to copy the item being viewed and open NewItem form pre populated with its contents where user can edit the fields that he wants and save it to the list as newely created item.

Can anyone point me to any commercial/shareware/freeware utility that I can add to the site?

I have a custom list with a combination of many fields. There are frequent additions but each addition requires a minor change (like new Effective Date or Price) while rest of the content remains the same. Such functionality will simplifies the updates and reduce the chances of human error.

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Daron Oneill     Answered On: Apr 08

Off the top of my head, since you’re using a custom  list, you could just add  a new button  to the toolbar through the definition of that list. The issue is to pre-populate the new list  with defaults from the old one but if the list is known and doesn’t change  too often you could use some JavaScript to seed the new list item.

I don’t know of any tools to do this and the suggestion above is just from the neurons on the top of my brain. Might be a better way to do this.

Answer #2    Answered By: M Juarez     Answered On: Apr 08

Its not the default values that I want to be taken over into new item  - It is the values in a list  item that I want to carry over (seed) in a new item. It is similar to what an Issues List does when you edit  an existing issue.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on List Item - Copy & Modify functionality Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: