Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Can I limit the rows updated to the current view?

Asked By: Brittanie    Date: Sep 24    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1151

I have a Task list that has two content types that inherit from Workflow Task. Let's call them CT1 and CT2. CT2 has a Business Data Column while the others do not. This Task list can contain several thousand records, though the number of active tasks at any given time is small (e.g. 20). The Business Data Column gets its data from a web service. I have a view that displays only the active tasks, and includes the business data column in the columns displayed. When I click on the update link (the circular green arrows at the top of the business data column), the subsequent pages warns that it will update ALL items in the list, not just the ones in the current view. Is it possible to restrict the update to only the items in the view?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Lesley Tate     Answered On: Sep 24

When pressing the BDC refresh button you just call  application page BusinessDataSynchronizer.aspx.
This page causes for every listitem in the list  to get the latest version of the BDC related data  and update  the objects in the list associated with the database.

You can not update some of the items  using the refresh button.
But what you can do, is to write some custom code (i.e event handler ItemUpdated, a TimerJob or anything else that makes updates only to ListItems you are interested!). You can get your ListItems using a CAML query.

There was a guy that wrote a class which updates a whole BDC column. I have used this in the past and modified it in order to update a unique listitem I want only. You can find it here: old.sharepointnick.com/.../Post.aspx?ID=59

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Can I limit the rows updated to the current view? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.