Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Any known issues with renaming SPS custom portal areas?

Asked By: Tim    Date: Dec 21    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 755

We have a tool that reads a hierarchy of portal areas from an XML file then creates (injects) the custom portal area hierarchy into SPS portal site.

We usually create the top-most custom portal area under Home (level 1) …so the majority of the new portal areas are 2 levels below Home …that is, at level 3.

We then use the SPS Site Map to drag&drop the level 3 portal areas so they are at level 2 …just below Home.

When we try to use the SPS Site Map to rename one of the custom portal areas, the rename doesn't appear to fail but it doesn't work either.

Is anyone familiar with an SPS problem renaming portal areas? Has anyone seen it before?

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Agustin Miranda     Answered On: Dec 21

You cannot rename  SharePoint containers when they surpass certain
limits. I believe it is 500MB or 10000 files; something like that.

Answer #2    Answered By: Arron Middleton     Answered On: Dec 21

These portal  areas are relatively small. For example, ach subarea "page" has a page viewer web part added to it that displays HTML from "content pages" stored in a separate WSS document library.

Answer #3    Answered By: Vance Hardin     Answered On: Dec 21

Any chance it could be permissions related?

Answer #4    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Dec 21

I have noticed that there is no error with simply renaming  the title of
an area. However, if you change the URL Name setting, which is the field
just below the title, then you get an error similar to what you are

I suspect that you are changing both the Title and the URL Name fields,
so that they continue to match.

Answer #5    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Dec 21

We've learned a little more about our client's problem  and I'm guessing it is a fairly simple bug in SPS.

They were trying to rename  a portal  area from "Upper lower portal area" to "Upper Lower portal area". SPS seems like it wants to ignore the change (a case insensitive compare somewhere?)

Renaming the portal to an intermediate name worked. For example: "Upper lower portal area" to "Upper XXXXower portal area" to "Upper Lower portal area".

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Any known issues with renaming SPS custom portal areas? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.