Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Issue With Network Folders

Asked By: Antione    Date: May 17    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 915

I was doing a training session today for some new SharePoint users, and I was demonstrating how to copy a file from one document library to another using network folders. And sure enough, Murphy’s law took over, and I had a problem.

It failed two different ways:

1) Open up the WSS site and browse to the document library

2) Click Upload document

3) Click Browse

4) Open My Network Places

5) Open the Network place that points to http://servername.company.com/sites/sitename/

6) Open the document library

7) Select the document

8) Click OK

9) Fill in the metadata

10) Click Save and Close

Using this method, on the save, it attempted to upload a document from a temp folder it created which had a path akin to c:\Documents and Settings\username\temp\X8S7SD8SDC\. It also added [1] to the end of the document name, which caused SharePoint to reject the document.

Under the second method, I tried multiple documents, doing the following:

1) Open up the WSS site and browse to the document library

2) Click Upload document

3) Click Upload multiple documents

4) Expand the My Network Places plus sign

Using this method, the Network place that I had created did not show up.

The client machine setup is as follows:

1) Windows 2000

2) Office 2003

3) Novell Netware authentication

The Windows setup and the Novell setup are both different than what I have used previously. Would either of these be an issue?

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Rigoberto Beard     Answered On: May 17

Another fairly common way to accomplish this task is to open  the document  libraries in separate windows, put both libraries in Explorer view, and then drag an drop the files from one window to the other. This is really using the WebDav technology that Network Places is using, so it would be interesting to see if you have the same problem  using that method.

Answer #2    Answered By: Alphonso Mckay     Answered On: May 17

I was able to open  both Document Libraries in the Explorer View, and do the drag and drop. However, there is no opportunity to apply metadata when doing it that way. They still have to go through the WSS site  in order to apply the metadata. So if anyone has any ideas what would be impacting the ability to upload  from a network  place, I’d be interested in hearing it.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Issue With Network Folders Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: