Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Intranet Performance Issue

Asked By: Keon    Date: Jan 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 980

Is the following situation familiar to anyone? Plse see below ...any thoughts on resolving it?

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kareem Flynn     Answered On: Jan 14

Web Parts will do a quick JIT if the system has been reset recently but once they’re all hit they’re in the system application pool cache until another IIS reset or the Web Part is updated.

I don’t know if the performance  issues are just plain jane WSS site, or a Web Part Page with a custom web part on it so hard to say. I know in Web Part land you’ll suffer from about a 2-3 second overhead accessing the indexers in say AllWebs, Lists, etc. so if you’ve got a web part that iterates through all sites, lists, etc. there’s a bit of a perf hit.

Again, hard to say what the issue  is with the configuration here including hardware, web parts, etc.

Answer #2    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Jan 14

Turns out "20 minutes" is a default value used for a couple related settings including App Pool Worker Process idle timeouts as well as IIS Session timeouts ...Web part caching is a 3rd axis.

We're now working to figure in which order to enable/disable each of these from a tuning perspective.

Answer #3    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: Jan 14

I'd like to know the results of you findings. Would you post them here
when you are done?

Answer #4    Answered By: Deonte Stein     Answered On: Jan 14

Attached are some short "helper" decks in terms of configuring the IIS settings ...still working to figure out which order makes the most sense.

Answer #5    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: Jan 14

Follow-up: We applied both of the changes and the client is happy. We haven't had to look at any Web part caching settings.

We turned App Pool Worker Thread timeouts off and set IIS Session State timeout to 4 hours.

CAVEAT: Note that there are only 400 total people in this organization so we're not concerned about large scalability. requirements These settings are most likely not appropriate for large deployments (i.e. large numbers of concurrent users measured, in this case, over a 4-hour period).

Answer #6    Answered By: Leif Cardenas     Answered On: Jan 14

Do you have detailed instructions on how to do this? I did not find
the attachment discussed earlier. Either would be greatly apprecaited.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Intranet Performance Issue Or get search suggestion and latest updates.