Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Installing SPS 2003 on Windows R2 x64

Asked By: Chelsea    Date: Mar 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1515

I don’t know if this has been covered here yet, but I discovered some pain moving SharePoint 2003 to Windows R2 x64 and wanted to share my “lessons learned” here in case it can help someone else.

The biggest problems are that SharePoint 2003 requires Dot Net 1.1 (whereas 2.0 is registered by default) and also requires IIS to run in 32 bit emulation mode. Also, installation has problems if it sees more than 1 GB of memory on the server. A number of issues arise from these constraints, and dictate a series of steps that is needed in order to get your installation running. Most of these (but not all!) are documented in more detail in Microsoft KB 905854. In summary:

To install SharePoint Portal Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 (SP1),

in addition to SharePoint Portal Server software you will also need knowledge base article

905854 from Microsoft and several kits and patches mentioned in that article:

a. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

b. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1

c. Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix 896000 (MSI version)

d. Micrsoft Windows SharePoint Services Service Pack 2

e. Microsoft SharePoint Portal Server 2003 Service Pack 2

Every step is needed and the sequence is important.

See the article for KB additional details and instructions.

The sequence is:

1. Switch IIS to use 32 bit mode instead of 64 bit mode

2. Install .NET Framework 1.1

3. Install .NET Framework 1.1 SP1

4. Install .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Hotfix 896000 using MSI version for 32 bits (NDP1.1sp1-KB896000-X86.exe) (You need to get this from MS support)

5. Enable the ASP.NET web service extension in IIS

6. Configure the server boot file so the server only uses a maximum of 1 GB RAM during

the installation. Reboot so it take effect.

7. Install SharePoint Portal Server 2003, modifying the path to remove parentheses.

8. Modify the default web site to use Windows Integrated authentication.

9. Install WSS SP2

10. Install SPS SP2

In addition, in order to use SharePoint Backup and Restore utility (for example to migrate content from another installation), you will need to

install the SQL Server 2000 Client Tools and SQL Server Service Pack 3 or higher on the

SharePoint server. Be sure SP3 or higher is also installed on the SQL Server. Remember that the version of SharePoint on source and target installations must be identical in order for the Backup/Restore tool to work.

[At this point, the KB article seems incomplete since I discovered that ASPX pages were still not being rendered in my case. So for example Central Admin was not available via the web in order to create the configuration database. Another step was needed. I manually registered the files in IIS to point to ASP.NET V1.1

instead of ASP.NET V2 -- (IIS Home Directory Tab – Configuration button).]

After all of this, I am still seeing problems with indexing on the brand new portal. Not sure yet if it is x64 related. If anyone else is implementing SPS 2003 on x64 and has seen the “Object not Found” problem, please let me know.

Share: 

No Answers Found. Be the First, To Post Answer.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Installing SPS 2003 on Windows R2 x64 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: