Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Infopath and Section 508 Accessibility

Asked By: Helen    Date: Jan 27    Category: MOSS    Views: 30859

I'm building a web site for a Section 508 workgroup, and I need the site to be 100% accessible (including the administration module I'm making for the team. We're using SharePoint MOSS 2007 and I recommended using infopath to enter data into the site's database (and also to populate downloadable Microsoft Word documents). The customer claimed that InfoPath is not Section 508 compliant, which seemed odd to me because the forms can be modified to anything you want them to be (including 508 compliant).

I even found this guide to making InfoPath accessible:

office.microsoft.com/.../HA102146831033.aspx

I'm curious if there are any caveats to making accessible forms in Infopath, or if the information I've gathered is incorrect.

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kacey Russo     Answered On: Jan 27

Most infopath  forms usually fail on the WCAG 1.0 level of accessibility  at checkpoint 6.3 which restricts the use of scripting. 508 section  1194.22 (its comparison)
www.access-board.gov/sec508/guide/1194.22.htm#(l) is less restrictive but an equally impressive read. If you can make your form comply then well done!

On the server side, if I recall correctly forms libraries typically fail on Sect 508, 1194.22(g) Row and column headers shall be identified for data tables. If you are bypassing forms libraries and storing the generated XML from a submitted form in a DB this might be a moot concern.

Answer #2    Answered By: William Lawrence     Answered On: Jan 27

The problem with saying that InfoPath is accessible or Section 508 compliant is that the accessibility  text for the text form fields are not read to JAWS version 10 or below; only JAWS 11 will read the screen tips appropriately. Therefore, to say it's technically compliant is one thing, but if the assistive technology of the audience that the InfoPath is designed for is not up to date, then it is not Section 508 compliant.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Infopath and Section 508 Accessibility Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: