Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Indexing another Portal without using Shared Services

Asked By: Dario    Date: Feb 02    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 769

Does anyone have any pointers on how to setup a content source and Exclude and Include content rules for searching another portal? I don’t want to go to a shared services model.

I have created my content source and told it to crawl the entire SPS site. For the rules I have included all the sites below by specifying an asterisk after the url.

After the full index is complete when I search for items in the portal to be indexed I find some things but far fewer than what should be found. Am I just setting this thing up wrong?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Dakota Shaffer     Answered On: Feb 02

Did you set a crawler account that has access to the other portal? Have you turned on errors in your gatherer log and looked through them?

Answer #2    Answered By: Ted Gilmore     Answered On: Feb 02

Is your crawler configured to follow complex links in URL?

Answer #3    Answered By: Monte Cooley     Answered On: Feb 02

The crawler account is the same account in both portals.

The rule for this path is specified to include  complex URLs.

I turned the logging options on and I think this may be my problem:

The address was excluded because crawl  depth restrictions were exceeded

How do I change the crawl depth restrictions?

Answer #4    Answered By: Guadalupe Bullock     Answered On: Feb 02

I think I figured this out. I had not enabled Advanced search  Administration Mode when I set up the content  source so I picked the option of Web page or Web site  since the SharePoint Portal Server Site Directory option was not available. I re-added the content source  now that I enabled advanced search administration mode and the crawl  is taking quite a bit longer like I had expected.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Indexing another Portal without using Shared Services Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: