Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Home page - adding web part failure

Asked By: Nichole    Date: Jan 18    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1543

I have a new problem with my portal home page. I removed a web part that was no longer desired and tried to add another. It so happens that what I want to add is #21 in the list. When I browse to the second page of the ‘web part list’ I get an error page:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Web Parts Maintenance Page: If you have permission, you can use this page to temporarily disable Web Parts or remove personal settings. For more information, contact your site administrator.

The link sends me to Manage Web Part Page: default.

This is not good. I can no longer add a new web part to the home page unless it is #’s 1 – 11. None of the other areas are affected… only the home page. I actually initiated a Microsoft Sharepoint team call, but it has now been two days without a fix. Anyone else experienced this problem and if so how might you have fixed it?

As always… the talent here amazes me and I am hoping it does once again!

5 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Harshita Padwal     Answered On: Jan 18

I have experience a similar situation, but mine was caused from having network load balancing across my web  servers serving up those site  pages. Is this a similar set up for you?

Answer #2    Answered By: Jennifer Jones     Answered On: Jan 18

Actually no, it is a pilot / demonstration for a live site  in development. Real simple system, nothing fancy. I have seen some blogs on this error  but no resolutions thus far. Did not hear back from MS today either.

Answer #3    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Jan 18

I had this problem  recently and corrected it by installing Ghosthunter: http://www.bluedoglimited.com/Downloads/pages/Web%20Part%20Toolkit.aspx

and re-ghosting the offending pages.

Answer #4    Answered By: Chadd Hahn     Answered On: Jan 18

OK, I will check it out. The only page  affected is the home  page.

Answer #5    Answered By: Nazish Abbasi     Answered On: May 09

well when i get that situation i did following
go to your wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\web.config

<SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="false" DirectFileDependencies="10" TotalFileDependencies="50" AllowPageLevelTrace="false">

change this Attribute to
DirectFileDependencies= "Maximum limit you want"

lets say if you want 20

<SafeMode MaxControls="200" CallStack="false" DirectFileDependencies="20" TotalFileDependencies="50" AllowPageLevelTrace="false">

most probably it will work for your case as well

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Home page - adding web part failure Or get search suggestion and latest updates.