The portal displays areas in the navigation bar at top of page. I was
wondering if there was a way to hide the links to areas a user does
not have access to.

Audiences or permission based display of the link would have been
nice. Am I missing something?

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: M Juarez     Answered On: Nov 29

For the most part, portal  *does* limit the links  that the users see, based  on what they do or do not have access  to. For example, if a user  doesn’t have access to MySite, then My Site link  doesn’t show up. Same goes for when non-admins log into the portal – they won’t see all the links on the left for managing content, creating sites, etc.

To test what you’re talking about – I created a new area on my portal called “Restricted” and added two specific groups only, and removed reader, member, administrator, etc roles. Members of the group saw the “Restricted” link up at the top  but all other users did not. So it seems to me that it’s doing what you’re talking about. Are you seeing something different?

It’s important to note that audiences  don’t mean security. Audiences only *target* content to specific groups of people. For example, if you have an audience called “North America employees” and it’s made up of all the people who are a member of the NT group called “North America”, and you create a news item that says “New Benefit Information” with details specific to North America employees, then only those people will see the link in the “News for you” web part.

When you see “Links for You” or “News for You”… the “for you” part means targeted content via audiences.

Answer #2    Answered By: Marty Mcdowell     Answered On: Nov 29

You can set security levels on each of your areas  to include a select number of users or security groups limiting the content shown..Is that what you were thinking? Have you tried this yet?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Hiding areas in portal? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: