Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Grant Database Access Error: Unable to connect to the Report Server WMI provider

Asked By: Jordan    Date: Nov 09    Category: MOSS    Views: 2427

Recently we setup Reporting Services 2008 and have worked through several problems with the installation and setup with MOSS 2007. During the last step, Granting Database Access in MOSS, I got an error "Unable to connect to the Report Server WMI provider" I did the usual googling and found a resolution about updating the SQL 2008 to the latest hot fixes. This didn't seem to work in my case and I have not seen any other options to try. I am not sure what this error is telling me or where I should look for answers. I am looking for any assistance here.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Alan West     Answered On: Nov 09

Ok, Fixed. I hope. I think the fix was mentioned earlier in the thread but I wasn't sure what it meant. I reinstalled MOSS on the Reporting server  using the SharePoint Products and Technology Wizard. You will need to host Central Admin from the server that is running reporting  Services.

Steps
Start the Wizard
Click Next
Click Yes (asked if it is ok to restart services....)
When asked I chose not to Disconnect from the Server Farm.
Click Next
Important Click the Advanced... button and select Use this machine to host the web site. (This part seems counter intuitive to me but it will give you 2 Central Administration sites accessing the one database. at least that is what it did for me. This is probably a good thing although there may be problems when upgrading, that is what I have read but I have yet to see).
Click Ok and Next.
Then Click Ok.

As I said if you read the install instructions or even this thread it is mentioned to install the MOSS WFE on the reporting server however it is not explicitly spelled what is needed. Also note that I also made sure to install the Patches (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956717)and Service Packs.