will I be able to leverage the PDF iFilter in this config (very
important to us). This is not going to be the ultimate
configuration since we have a clustered SQL 2005 64-bit Server where
the MOSS DBs will ultimately reside. I do plan to house the web and
Sharepoint stuff on a single Virtual Server instance when it's time
to make it real.

Lastly, does anyone have a link with concise instructions on the
install of MOSS Beta 2 from the ground up? I have seen so many
links out there it'd be nice to find one that takes you through it.

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Ruth George     Answered On: Mar 30

Suggestion: for an experience closer to production, use SQL2005 Eval edition on the test box so that you can play with SQL backups, etc. You will need to increase the RAM on the virtual machine but I find it runs OK for testing at 1.5GB RAM. I have one running on this laptop with that configuration while I am running Outlook and other applications as well.

Use a slipstream install  of B2TR for less headaches. Give the VM as much RAM as you can during install even if you are going to back it off later. I have seen references to database creation / connection problems when there is not enough RAM although I have not had time to test that theory out myself.

Answer #2    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Mar 30

during the config DB creation when you’re doing the install  process, we’ve seen the memory consumption peak around 900MB… if you don’t have enough memory, you’ll get an OutOfMemoryException and the installation will fail.

I’ve been able to run my MOSS B2TR VM’s with 1024MB or RAM with no problems (my installs also don’t have AD created, but do have VS 2005, all the Office 2007 clients installed, and SQL 2005 with all the extra add ons [SSIS, SSAS, SSRS]).

Answer #3    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Mar 30

So should I be sure that the SQL 2005 Eval is loaded on the machine prior to installing the Beta 2 stuff? The approach I took up until this point was to start with a freshly patched W2k3 SP1 OS and installed Basic MOSS 2007 Beta right on top. It installed some version of SQL 2005, though I'm not 100% sure which one. As for the B2TR Slipstream install, do you have a concise doc on that?

It looks as if I'll want to dump this current install  and start afresh. Luckily I backed up the Virtual Server instance just prior to installing MOSS 2007 Beta.

Answer #4    Answered By: Isidro Berger     Answered On: Mar 30

I’ve got the download links and slipstream docs in a post on my blog:

Answer #5    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: Mar 30

What about .Net 3, etc.? I don't see in the screencast where it references it.

Answer #6    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Mar 30

Yes, you want SQL 2005Eval installed before SharePoint. The install  will then recognize that you do not need SQLExpress.

Answer #7    Answered By: Delbert Frederick     Answered On: Mar 30
Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Getting geared up to install Moss 2007 Beta2 Or get search suggestion and latest updates.