MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

How to get started in SharePoint administration

Asked By: Ojas    Date: Dec 15    Category: MOSS    Views: 1106

I am SharePoint developer with 2 years of MOSS 2007 exp.
I want to get exp in SharePoint administration too, can you please suggest me how shoshould i proceed for that.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karrie Wooten     Answered On: Dec 15

Best way according to me is to do HandsOn on MOSS on topics like (these very few, as you start working you will explore into the ocean of MOSS) :
1. Creating Site collections (programmaticallt thru STSADM, and thru UI)
2. Set Quota
3. Get acquianted with possible STSADM commands
4. Look at setting up MOSS server (in a farm environment with multiple roles i.e. WFE, SQL-box, Index Server, Query server, etc)
5. Look @ Indexing/SSP architecture this helps a lot on planning the SSP and Indexing at enterprises.
6. Deploying solutions in a farm environment.
7. Debugging on servers (i.e. get familiar with event logs, sharepoint  logs, IIS logs, and how to get asimilated with them i.e. collate them and see the reports).
8. Check the out of the box Usage reports and understand them.
9. Check how to set DNS entries and how to host multiple site-collection with unique urls on the same web-applicaiton (i.e. Host named site collection).
10. Content deployment is another very important topic that you need to delve into.
Check on http://www.bing.com for above topics and you would find lot of blogs/articles.
Many more topics, that will help as you start working.

Answer #2    Answered By: Alan West     Answered On: Dec 15

Check out this slide deck for MOSS Administrators:

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on How to get started in SharePoint administration Or get search suggestion and latest updates.