Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Functionality and Ports

Asked By: Cyrus    Date: Sep 28    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 573

My SharePoint site seemed to stop working fully and I am scratching my head as to why. For example if I am in a list and attempt to select the drop down list to View Item, Edit Item, Delete Item, Alert Me, or Approve/reject. The arrow appears and the frame around the item appears however the drop down list does not. Is this perhaps a problem with a port being blocked?

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Tyron Calderon     Answered On: Sep 28

Probably not. What changes occurred on your server recently?

Answer #2    Answered By: Irvin Foley     Answered On: Sep 28

I don’t know really. It is a server that has many fingers stirring the pot. Waiting on new hardware to create an entirely new portal from scratch to turn madness into controlled chaos.

We always have had two virtual servers one for internal and one for external access. It always happened this way on the external virtual server. I did read your post about never assigning IP’s to a virtual server so I unassigned the IP’s and inserted the headers in their place. I always thought this was an ISA problem  however maybe it is something different. Another oddity is the left hand navigation bar is twice as wide as it should be. It was a problem only on the external vs when accessing it from inside the WAN but now is a problem on the internal link as well.

Can assigning the IP permanently screw something up like editing a page in FP 2002?

Answer #3    Answered By: Deonte Stein     Answered On: Sep 28

Not sure on the IP thing screwing something up permanently, but I do know that using PF02 will cause you significant problems. Did you mean FP03?

Answer #4    Answered By: Stephon Valentine     Answered On: Sep 28

No I know FP 2002 will mess things up but was not sure the IP stuff would break something too. Thanks for the help I just wanted to see if it rang a bell with anyone.

Answer #5    Answered By: Leif Cardenas     Answered On: Sep 28

Microsoft told some time back that the #1 PSS
root cause for a huge number of reported problem  symptoms with
SharePoint Products and Technologies is assigning an IP address to the
IIS Web site  extended as a SharePoint Virtual Server. Always use All
Unassigned for all SharePoint sites (at least until the SP comes and
hopefully fixes this problem).

Answer #6    Answered By: Jasper Hatfield     Answered On: Sep 28

There are unexpected consequences when the virtual server’s properties are modified after WSS extends the VS, so I can’t really say whether or not this caused any problems.

Answer #7    Answered By: Rashawn Hopper     Answered On: Sep 28

I finally figured out my problem  with this so I decided that it would be worthwhile to post.

I changed a setting in IE for the zone that the site  was in. Under “ActiveX controls and plug-ins” the feature “Binary and script behaviors” was set to Disable. Setting this to Enable fixed the problem.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Functionality and Ports Or get search suggestion and latest updates.