Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Force Document Check-Out

Asked By: Bridget    Date: Apr 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2108

A while back there was conversation about changing a script to force a check out when the document is opened for editing.

The article below:

www.msd2d.com/.../Tip_viewitem_03NoAuth.aspx

Has anyone else implemented this and run into a problem where you can only check the document back in through the Office application and not through the browser? We have one user using Office 2000 and can’t check back in their document. This has also been a problem for non Office documents.

I am hoping I made an error in the script.

Share: 

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Apr 08

Works fine for us but we are using Office 2003

Answer #2    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Apr 08

It works fine for us too when using an Outlook 2003 application  but we can’t do it through the browser. The problem  occurs for users with or without Office 2003 installed.

Answer #3    Answered By: Alexandra Patterson     Answered On: Apr 08

The "solution" provided by this article  has a number of problems.
For example,
clicking directly on the document  hyperlink to open the document doesn't force  checkout, you actually have to use the "Edit in Microsoft ABC [Word, Excel, etc]" to force checkout.
clicking Cancel at the "Some files can harm your computer...." prompt causes the document to be checked out even though the document was never opened.
as well as the other complaints mentioned for this article.

Most of the articles I've read on MSD2D are more for stimulation of thought than to provide comprehensive solutions. I think their articles are of value if taken in light of this fact. Most that involve writing code do not include error checking nor do they take access control into consideration.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Force Document Check-Out Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: