Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Folder and modified date

Asked By: Karen    Date: Jul 11    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 4063

What is the dependencies between the modified date and the embedded folders and document within a folder in a document library.

For example, I have a document library called Test that has several folders - Folder A-G

In folder B, there are several sub-folders and documents uploaded at different times. The latest document uploaded on 8/14/2005. How can I get Folder B to reflect the date of the newest content. I cannot seem to see what the dependencies are with this date.

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Harshini Raju     Answered On: Jul 11

Note, this is not a solution post just an opinion post. I don't think
that there is a solution to your situation.

IMHO, folders  should be avoided in SharePoint document  Libraries. A
metadata can accomplish the exact same thing as a folder  and so much
more.

If folders are a must, they should only be one level deep.

Answer #2    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Jul 11

You can think of the folders  like you would in a file system. I believe folder  date shows the date  you created it rather than one reflecting any of the items in the library  – though I rarely use them.

I personal prefer to use additional metadata fields - columns, rather than folders for organisation within libraries and create grouped views to give the folder effect. This allows you to create almost virtual folders where the same item can be displayed in one or more places. It’s worth a look to see if it fits your requirements.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Folder and modified date Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: