Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Can we have folder listing in Site Directory?

Asked By: Brock    Date: Jan 06    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1117

We have around 30 WSS sites and each site fall under some specific business group. Now when we are adding/mapping these sites on to SPS we want to have the categorization based on the Business Groups. For e.g. Sales and Marketing is a Business Group under which we have further classification like sales and Functions under Sales we have 5 WSS sites.

Now we want Sales and Marketing as a link on Site Directory on clicking this it should open up 2 links: Sales and Functions and on clicking Sales it should open up all the 5 WSS sites. Can this kind of categorization allowed in SPS? If yes, where can we do this?

Any solution/suggestion, please get back to me.

Share: 

8 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Fred Rios     Answered On: Jan 06

If you structure your WSS sites  in the following way, you could use the workplace navigation webparts from CorasWorks to accomplish your goal.
Tier 1: Sales and Marketing
Tier 2: Sales, Functions, ....
Tier 3: 5 WSS connected to Sales, X Sites connected to Functions, ....
Check out enterprise.corasworks.net/.../default.aspx for some examples.
username: sps\spsguest, password: coras123

Answer #2    Answered By: Donnie Drake     Answered On: Jan 06

Thanks for your suggestion. The examples look fine, but I think “Workplaces” is a custom built webpart and this kind  of option might not be there in SPS. Right?

Answer #3    Answered By: Nathaniel Henderson     Answered On: Jan 06

Yes you're right, these web parts are not standard SPS, but they are commercially available from CorasWorks. Check out
www.corasworks.net/.../...placeviewadvancedv3.html
for details about product and pricing.

Answer #4    Answered By: Tanner Moss     Answered On: Jan 06

When I tried importing an Excel sheet on to a SPS List using “Import Spreadsheet” option, here are the steps:

I gave the name of the List and mentioned the location and clicked Import
Then I select “Range of Cells” from the window that displayed and gave the range
After providing all these details I clicked on Import

After this I got an error message “The selected Range cannot be converted to a List before publishing or the existing list is invalid”. Why am I getting this error?

Answer #5    Answered By: Bobby Boyd     Answered On: Jan 06

not sure why this happens. Never seen this before.
Just to ask the obvious. Are you working with Exchange 2003? Did you provide a new list name (you can't import to an existing list this way)?

Answer #6    Answered By: Sean Perez     Answered On: Jan 06

Should have read Excel 2003 not Exchange 2003 ;-).

Answer #7    Answered By: Moises Harrington     Answered On: Jan 06

I resolved the issue but in a different way, I copied the entire content on to a new Excel sheet and it worked out. But still I don’t know what might have gone wrong earlier.

Answer #8    Answered By: Kory Brock     Answered On: Jan 06

You can use Areas instead of sites.

My organization has implemeneted something similar.

Lets say your sales site  http://hp/Sales/default.aspx

You want to show five Areas in this sites  if you define five areas

You can show all thos areas in the site and in these area you can also restrict permissions.

Let us say area1 of this site contains confidenatial data of sales  which only three people are authorized to see.

You can remove all permissions and just add those three people.

Lets say area 2 has got genaeral inofrmation and anybody who has access to sales site should be able to see it then you can inherit all users from the Parent Sales site.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Can we have folder listing in Site Directory? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: