Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Finding UserMulti Data

Asked By: Mariah    Date: Dec 20    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1925

We have a need to use info from various SharePoint lists as the data source for some SSRS reports. We need to be able to join several lists together and were attempting to query the content database directly as the source.

I'm able to find about 99% data I need, but I'm getting a bit hung up on one particular list that has a UserMulti field.

According to the information in our dbo.Lists.tp_Fields column, it looks like the information should be in the dbo.UserData.int2 column. And, sure enough, I see the info in that column when I change it to a User type by setting the field in my SharePoint list to not allow multiple selections.

However, when I do allow multiple selections and the type changes to UserMulti, that dbo.UserData.int2 column is NULL for all records.

I do realize that querying the content database directly isn't the most ideal option, but I can't seem to find another method for querying this data to drive my reports (given that I need to join several lists).

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Xiomara Blanchard     Answered On: Dec 20

There is a limitation in SharePoint 2007 CAML query  of not having the support for joins on the SharePoint lists  and I believe this is fixed in SharePoint 2010 (www.eggheadcafe.com/.../...ists-with-linq--sh.aspx)

I think using a custom code would fix your issue and here are the 4 options,

1) Create a event handler on the existing lists and insert the data  to a new separate SharePoint list  which would be used for reporting.

2) Create a event handler on the existing lists and insert the data to SQL tables. You can use your reporting against the SQL table

Example,

Custom List A
Custom List B
Custom List C (New List that would be use for reporting)

Create event handler on List A and List B and insert the data into List C

3) Create a SharePoint timer job which would read the data from the custom lists and insert into new SharePoint custom list which would be use for reporting

4) You can also create a scheduled task to read the data from the custom lists and insert into new SharePoint custom list which would be use for reporting

I am also in a similar situation and I am going with option  1.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Finding UserMulti Data Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: