Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Filtering documents from its metadata?

Asked By: Tyrel    Date: Feb 01    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1297

I need to know best practice when filtering documents from its metadata.

The scenario is as follow: On a front page I created a link pointing to a document library. This library contains documents from the whole site in one big pile. When I click the link called “strategies” I would like all the documents with the metadata “strategies” to be shown.

I’m not sure whether this is possible to create with standard features or not. If not do I have to use the SharePoint designer or Visual Studio. Is there a template to buy somewhere or what is the easiest approach to this problem?

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Christian Waters     Answered On: Feb 01

You have lots of options and most of them can be done without Sharepoint designer  or Visual Studio.

I think the "by the book" approach  is something like this:
Each team has a document  library on their team site
There are several content types and site  fields created  relating to documents  - eg strategies, policies, procedures
Each document library  contains these content types
The teams create  documents in the libraries and fill out the required information about the content type
Then you can use the Content Query Web Part to bring all the similar content together on one page.
However, since you already have all your documents in one place - all I would do is create a site column and content type for those documents which allows people to choose which type of document it is - like the "strategies" meta data. You could then either create a series of custom views and drag them on to different web pages or use the content query web part.

You can read more about content types at:

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Filtering documents from its metadata? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.