Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Filter Document library

Asked By: Clem    Date: Jul 08    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 2936

Is it possible to filter a document library programmatically? I would like to provide a dropdown list (populated from a dataview of a task list) and when a user selects an item from the list, display all documents in a document library with the value selected.

So far, i have tried dataview web parts but they do not work. I would like to build an event handler when the user selects an item from the DDL to filter the document library on the page but don't know how to accomplish this.

I have posted this request on 3 other SharePoint forums and have receive no responses. I would have thought this would be a common request however it appears it cannot be done.

I am using WSS 3.0

Share: 

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Vladi Gubler     Answered On: Jul 08

I believe the best way is to use web  part connections. You can create the filter  web part in code or in SharePoint designer and connect it to a data view. This should be simple enough, unless I do not understand your question correctly

Answer #2    Answered By: Clem Smith     Answered On: Jul 08

Tried using a dataview  web part attaching to the Shared Documents library  but nothing happens when i pass the parameter to the Shared document  library. I'm wondering if the Shared Document library has to have a predefined filter  type?
When i created a dataview of the Shared Document library referencing a dataview of my task list  value, nothing happened here either.
Seems like basic functionality.
Thank you for the reply.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Filter Document library Or get search suggestion and latest updates.