Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

FAQ Web part?

Asked By: Bridget    Date: Aug 22    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 12918

Anyone know of a web-part or customization that could provide a FAQ functionality?

12 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Schuyler Le     Answered On: Aug 22

What do you mean by FAQ functionality?

I have built FAQs with custom lists.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Aug 22

Do you have any examples? I'm not too much of a programmer so my abilities with custom lists is pretty limited.

Answer #3    Answered By: Sharonda Mcfarland     Answered On: Aug 22

Creating a new custom list doesn't require any programming skills.

Answer #4    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: Aug 22

I guess I just don't understand the inter-relations between the various components of the custom list. Anyone have any decent primers?

Answer #5    Answered By: Allison Stewart     Answered On: Aug 22

I've built faq  tools using doc libraries that store the the FAQ
answers on web  part pages. The web part  pages include links to
related faq's and up and back. The doc library can be filtered and
sorted to display context specific link sets.

I've also built the links using the javascript stolen from the
SharePoint help routines. This will let you pop-up a little anwer
window with the FAQ answer as well as back and next buttons to
navigate through complicated how-to steps.

Answer #6    Answered By: Emmett Hyde     Answered On: Aug 22

One FAQ I built was for people to submit questions and for it to house general FAQ about how to use a SharePoint site. Below is how I have it set up, it may help you in figuring out how to do yours.

Documents & Lists / Create / Custom List

For the columns I did:

Topic <Choice> 1) General; 2) Alerts; 3) Announcements; 4) Content; 5) Database, etc….
Question From
I am asking because <Choice> 1) I am curious and would like to know; 2) I need to know if this will affect my site; 3) I need to know this soon so I can work on a task; 4) I need help now! I can’t complete my task until I know the answer.
Answered By

For the view, I set Question and Answer columns to de displayed, and to group by Topic.

For the list general settings, I set it to require content approval for submitted items.

For the list permissions, I set Reader to View List Items and Add List Items.

On the home page, I added a link to the New Item screen for the custom list (NewForm.aspx….)

The “watchers” of the FAQ list then set up an alert to be notified of any new items or changes.

Final way the process works, user clicks the link, adds a question, the question does not show in the list since it has to be approved, a watcher of the list receives an alert, goes to the item, answers the question and approves it, and it then shows up in the FAQ list for everyone to see. I started the FAQ with a base list of questions and answers and now just allow others to add on.

Answer #7    Answered By: Michelle White     Answered On: Aug 22

I gave this a shot and it worked pretty well. Up until now custom lists have been a little confusing but this exercise has been very enlightening. One question: in your scenario below, is there a way that we can omit the answer and answered by fields from the initial submission page? It seems kinda corny to have those fields available to the submitter when they are asking questions. The other thing I think that would be cool to see would be for the submitter information to be auto-populated and perhaps containing a MAILTO: link so that the person asking could send something to them directly. I know this most likely gets into the requirement of ASPX modification, but I'm curious how you would progress with a request like this.

Answer #8    Answered By: Sheena Ray     Answered On: Aug 22

Excellent post.

Bob Fox

Answer #9    Answered By: Jaime Weaver     Answered On: Aug 22

I created a simple (untested) FAQ list template based upon the WSS STS
site definition (ID=1) in the 1033 LCID and saved it in a zip file here:

First unzip the FAQ.STP file to a known location. Then navigate to Site
Settings ==> Go To Site Administration of any top-level Web and choose
the Site Collection List Template Gallery from the third section. Use
the Upload button on the toolbar to get the STP from the file system
into the gallery.

Navigate to any 1033 STS Web (Team Site, Blank Site, or Document
Workspace) within that site collection and go to the Create page. Create
a new FAQ list, name it what you will.

Enter some questions and answers. I currently have content approval

Answer #10    Answered By: Anibal Baird     Answered On: Aug 22

I am a sharepoint developer
New to this technology
I need to design my own alert type
And use it in sps
Is it possible?

Answer #11    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Aug 22

I would think that would have to be a custom web  part/edited list definition so you can control what shows on the new item screen and do the mail stuff.  It is corny to have the answer fields appear, but with all the “forms” I have done with custom lists I have never really had anyone complain. I usually put “for administrator use only” in the descriptions (text that appears under the input field) for fields that the submitter shouldn’t be worrying about. Â

Answer #12    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Aug 22

If you are willing/able to open the instance of the newform.aspx page in
FrontPage, you can customize the List Form Web Part from the right click context
menu. You can then remove those two fields. However, that page will be unghosted
(it can be reghosted) and subsequently any new fields that you add to the list
will not show on the newform page. If you remove any of the other existing
fields that page will result in a rendering error. You can always go back using
FrontPage and remove your customizations.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on FAQ Web part? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.