Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Excluding or Denying Rights in SP?

Asked By: Krista    Date: Sep 09    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 890

Another rights issue... man I wish I was involved in the set up of our SPS!

We manage SP rights using AD groups. The initial (current) setup uses an SP-Everyone group to allow Reader access on the portal. This group's only member is the Domain Users security group. The portal consists entirely of Areas, no sites at all, and the Reader access cascades down through the portal.

I've received a request to exlude a small number of AD accounts (50 out of 4000+) from accessing the portal in it's entirety. Unfortuneately, all accounts must belong on Domain Users group to authenticate to the domain.

So, is there anyway to deny portal access from those 50 w/o having to rebuild it for the 4000+?

I've tried additional AD / SP groups with conflicting rights, but the greater rights seem to overrule the limited (usually the case, but one can hope!). Does SP have a "Deny" rights feature similar to Share / Folder / Files?

I'd prefer to manage these using our current structure... either in AD or in SP. But am open to other alternatives.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Sep 09

Unfortunately, SharePoint does not support deny rights.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Sep 09

Unlike the operating system, Sharepoint has no concept of deny, only allow.

Answer #3    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Sep 09

Looks like we'll be
taking advantage of the oft neglected Domain Guests group.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Excluding or Denying Rights in SP? Or get search suggestion and latest updates.