Excel and Sharepoint Intranet

Asked By: Grace    Date: Jan 14    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 868

We are using Sharepoint for our intranet. I was wondering is there a
way we can load an Excel document on sharepoint so other users can
update and make changes and have it shared on the intranet? Any
suggestions or ideas?

6 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cade Velazquez     Answered On: Jan 14

What features are you looking for beyond uploading the workbook to a document  library and letting people make changes to it from the library as once it’s in the library, anyone with permissions can access & edit it?

Answer #2    Answered By: Ariana Christensen     Answered On: Jan 14

If I have it in doc library will that overcome the issue of more then
one person being able to use it at one time? The problem is our
company is in a transition stage and we "Might" be moving to a new DB
application. But in the meantime we need to track some data that may
or maynot have alot of data involved. I'm trying to create
workaround that people at different sites / states can all access
this data.

Answer #3    Answered By: Gopal Jamakhandi     Answered On: Jan 14

Document libraries support check-in/check-out features. WSS v2’s aren’t very robust, but may suit your needs.

Answer #4    Answered By: Kyla Eckert     Answered On: Jan 14

Can you just clarify for a newbie then

- documents have to be transferred to Sharepoint and cannot simply be linked to documents in the file server?

- Once in Sharepoint, they have to be exported back to the normal company file server?

Answer #5    Answered By: Joshuah Huber     Answered On: Jan 14

document  library is just a storage mechanism for documents, or in your case, Excel files. After uploading the file, you can easily right click and pick SAVE AS to save it locally again. When people access the document from the library, it’s the same experience as if they clicked on a file anywhere else on the web… it would be streamed down and automatically opened in Excel.

Here’s a public site you can see what the experience is like:

While he doesn’t have any Excel files in there, he does have ZIPs… click on one and you’ll see what the experience is like… the Excel experience should be identical.

Answer #6    Answered By: Ciara Collier     Answered On: Jan 14

If this is a question about linking (rather than embedding) documents into Sharepoint, then I am interested too.

We have a secured subsite for the Board where they would like to work on documents that are in our file server. Can this happen?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Excel and Sharepoint Intranet Or get search suggestion and latest updates.