Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Excel not being crawled/indexed properly

Asked By: Garrett    Date: Mar 07    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1833

It was my understanding that as long as a file was not too large that it would
be fully text indexed as long as the ifilter existed.

I am having consistent problems with excel files that can not be found by doing
a search. The problem seems to come from cells that have a lot of text and only
some of it is searchable.

Any known issues with excel working differently or has any problems? I hvae
tried with both xls and xlsx and same/similiar results. I put the same text in
a word doc and everything works as expected.

Also, is there any tool that can show me what has been indexed for a particular
document? I am trying to determine if it is the crawler/iflilter or the search.
My farm is 07 with infrastructure updates applied.

2 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Rosalinda Merrill     Answered On: Mar 07

I might try re-loading/loading the iFilter office pack from Microsoft. Perhaps
something got whacked on the Index server.

Answer #2    Answered By: TJ Kelsey     Answered On: Aug 06

Me too. I've got Excel files in SharePoint that show up in search results just fine... for a while. Then one day after an update they just stop coming up in search results - this isn't a size issue, they aren't getting bigger, people are just changing the text in cells.

When they stop showing up, if I recreate them in new files with no formatting (paste values from the old to new files - don't just copy the sheets over) and then reapply all the formatting, the new files show up fine... for a while. Then one day, after I make an update, *poof* it's not showing up in search results anymore, again.

I've resorted to no formatting and no hyperlinks in the files, which seems to minimize the likelihood of the problem recurring, and I always save the update with a new name, wait for indexing to pick it up, and only after I know it's not going to have a problem, then save it in place of the original file.

Very annoying feature. Perhaps it's related to "Office 365 Search is now smarter about spreadsheets ..." (https://blogs.office.com/2014/10/29/office-365-search-now-smarter-spreadsheets/).

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Excel not being crawled/indexed properly Or get search suggestion and latest updates.