Logo 
Search:

MOSS Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » MOSS       RSS Feeds

Evaluating MOSS 07 as Document Management Solution - Does it support the following functionalit

Asked By: Harshini    Date: Mar 24    Category: MOSS    Views: 1110

My client is evaluating MOSS 07 Standart edition as a Document Management Solution and they asked me bunch of questions. Please let me know if you know answers to any of these questions. Or you can point me to another resource if there is one... I need to get back to them with solid answers so your help is much appreciated.

Thank you,

The questions are as follows:

1- Once we make a document final, can we then make it unfinal?

2- Once an email with attachments sent to a document library, does library show email attachments?

3- If more than one people receive the same email (with attachments), then does the system keep track of who opened up the attachment and made changes first so that second user do not over-write first person’s changes?

4- If I email version 2 of a document to another party (and they are NOT part of the SharePoint user group) and then the email is returned to me with changes, will SharePoint recognize the attachment as being a SharePoint document and ask how I want to save it: as a new version of the original, overwrite the original or as a new document?

5- If I do not want to attach a document to my email, can I send a document link to the other party (and they ARE a part of the SharePoint user group)?

6- Do I have to option of saving the body of the email and/or attachments?

7- When a recipient of an email (with or without attachments) saves it in SharePoint, and then a different recipient of the same email tries to save the same email, will SharePoint alert the second person attempting to save the email that it has already been saved?

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kevin Davis     Answered On: Mar 24

I am assuming that you are referring to SharePoint's ability to receive  documents and save  them into document  libraries than to have Office Outlook 2007 in the picture.Office Online has a introductory video here: office.microsoft.com/.../video.aspx

1- Once we make a document final, can we then make it unfinal?

I take it that you are referring to the Mark as final  functionality in the Office 2007 clients (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint). It's not really a SharePoint-centric question, but yes. By clicking on the same Mark as Final button on the document that has been marked final (Office Button > Prepare > Mark as Final).

2- Once an email  with attachments  sent to a document library, does library  show email attachments?

Yes, subjected to how your document library's incoming email is configured. Email and attachments can be stored in the document library.

3- If more than one people  receive the same email (with attachments), then does the system  keep track  of who opened  up the attachment  and made  changes first so that second user  do not over-write  first person’s  changes?

No. Attachments embedded into emails are treated as different copies of the document. However, if the document is sent via a link, changes  to the document can be tracked by referring to the version  history of the document (each document maintains a trail of changes including the user name). You can use the check in/out functionality to prevent 2 users from overwriting each other changes.

4- If I email version 2 of a document to another party  (and they are NOT part  of the sharepoint  user group) and then the email is returned  to me with changes, will SharePoint recognize  the attachment as being a SharePoint document and ask how I want to save it: as a new version of the original, overwrite  the original  or as a new document?
No, I doubt SharePoint is that "smart" but it does check for the filename (if the filename on the server is the same as the copy on your computer) to see if they are both referring to the same document.

5- If I do not want to attach  a document to my email, can I send  a document link  to the other party (and they ARE a part of the SharePoint user group)?
Yes .

6- Do I have to option  of saving  the body  of the email and/or attachments?
I assume that you are not referring to Outlook's capabilities but rather receiving documents via email from within a document library. Email attachments should be taken in by default, and the body of the email is subjected to the configuration of the document library.

7- When a recipient of an email (with or without attachments) saves  it in SharePoint, and then a different recipient of the same email tries to save the same email, will SharePoint alert  the second person  attempting to save the email that it has already been saved?