Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Errors & Exceptions

Asked By: Lyndsey    Date: Jun 13    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1307

Having downloaded the beta version from Microsoft connect and had it all working nicely, I was excited to see the next release. I quickly downloaded and installed it.

The first few installs had issues. I blew away all site collections and web applications from my test environment (a virtual machine) and built it from the ground up.

The ECTS installed fine, I add the configuration utility to a web part page but when I try and update the configuration parameters it creates the following exception:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 04/03/2008 01:01:00
Event time (UTC): 04/03/2008 01:01:00
Event ID: bbcd5f55865a4b449a5b6ab0d15d2343
Event sequence: 3
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1047597790/Root-3-128490660024770946
Trust level: WSS_Minimal
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\ectsportal80\
Machine name: ECTS

Process information:
Process ID: 496
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: CAPGEMINI\svc-moss-app

Exception information:
Exception type: InvalidOperationException
Exception message: ExecuteNonQuery: Connection property has not been initialized.

Request information:
Request URL: http://ectsportal/ectsmgmt/Pages/config.aspx
Request path: /ectsmgmt/Pages/config.aspx
User host address: 192.168.111.20
User: CAPGEMINI\moss-site-admin
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: NTLM
Thread account name: CAPGEMINI\svc-moss-app

Thread information:
Thread ID: 10
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ValidateCommand(String method, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at EAT.Common.SqlManager.SetEntry(String DbName, String Column, String SetValue, String Name, String Value)
at EAT.Common.SqlManager.SetEntry(String DbName, String Column, String SetValue)
at EAT.ConfigurationUtility.ConfigurationUtility.UpdateDB_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Similarly, when I attempt to add any of the other web parts to the page it throws this exception:

Event code: 3005
Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
Event time: 04/03/2008 01:10:01
Event time (UTC): 04/03/2008 01:10:01
Event ID: c835933e8fdb452f9309bd3503d1d1c1
Event sequence: 4
Event occurrence: 1
Event detail code: 0

Application information:
Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/1047597790/Root-1-128490665018472006
Trust level: WSS_Minimal
Application Virtual Path: /
Application Path: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\ectsportal80\
Machine name: ECTS

Process information:
Process ID: 3816
Process name: w3wp.exe
Account name: CAPGEMINI\svc-moss-app

Exception information:
Exception type: InvalidOperationException
Exception message: ExecuteNonQuery: Connection property has not been initialized.

Request information:
Request URL: http://ectsportal/ectsmgmt/Pages/config.aspx
Request path: /ectsmgmt/Pages/config.aspx
User host address: 192.168.111.20
User: CAPGEMINI\moss-site-admin
Is authenticated: True
Authentication Type: NTLM

Thread information:
Thread ID: 1
Is impersonating: False
Stack trace: at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ValidateCommand(String method, Boolean async)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe)
at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery()
at EAT.Common.SqlManager.SetEntry(String DbName, String Column, String SetValue, String Name, String Value)
at EAT.Common.SqlManager.SetEntry(String DbName, String Column, String SetValue)
at EAT.ConfigurationUtility.ConfigurationUtility.UpdateDB_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

I have manually uninstalled the beta version of ECTS from this test environment, could this be causing me an issue? Are the events indicative of what is wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - it's a great kit, I'd hate to have to stop using it through it being too buggy.

Share: 

1 Answer Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cole Curtis     Answered On: Jun 13

The group I was using for the user approvers, I tried it with users, without users. The External User Manager web  part threw an exception  no matter who I was logged in as.

There was never a problem with user creation or approvals. It was only that one web part, External User Manager, that had an issue.

Anyhow, the good news is, having tried tinkering with many many things I sat back and thought for a moment. I came to the following conclusions:-

1) When a User Manager SharePoint group name WASN'T input into the Configuration web part, the External User Manager web part  worked as you'd expect it to and told me I did not have access to the web part.

2) When a User Manager SharePoint group name WAS input into the Configuration web part, the External User Manager web part threw the exception that I included in previous posts.

- Take the first few lines of the stack-trace:

[OverflowException: Negating the minimum value of a twos complement number is invalid.]
System.Math.AbsHelper(Int64 value) +2521690
System.Math.Abs(Int64 value) +33
EAT.Common.cUserManager.PasswordLifetime() +333
EAT.Common.cUserManager.DaysUntilPasswordExpires(MembershipUser u) +64

Notice how the exception relates to Password Policy...

Anyhow, my second point got my thinking around password policies - I can't believe this wasn't more obvious.

I decided I'd set about trying to alter the password policy in ADAM in an attempt to change values for Password Lifetime and Password Minimum Lifetime and Warning Before Password Expires (Days) etc. etc. I couldn't find where to configure these within ADAM. I then remembered... When installed  on a computer that is part of a domain, ADAM adopts the domain password policy set by group policy.

I have two virtual  Machines in my setup, one running Active Directory, DNS, SMTP & POP3. The other is running SQL Server 2005, MOSS 2007 and ADAM.

Normally, when developing, testing and proving concepts in virtual machines, I disable all password policy for the domain. I re-enabled password policy by setting the following values:

Enforce Password History = 4 days (previously disabled)
Maximum Password Age = 30 days (previously disabled)
Minimum Password Age = 0 days (previously disabled)
Minimum Password Length = 5 characters (previously disabled)

I then ran gpupdate /force on my MOSS 2007 server and called up the page  with the External User Manager web part on. Alas! It worked!

So it seems that if you have no password policy, it breaks ECTS. Is this intentional? If so - perhaps we could receive an exception that is a little more friendly and lets us know what's gone wrong. If not, then maybe we need to take out the dependency on that password policy data.

Either way, thanks for all your help in resolving this - your suggestions have prompted me to try all kinds of things, eliminating possibilities along the way.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Errors & Exceptions Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: