Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Entire SPS to use the same template

Asked By: Grayson    Date: Jun 01    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 794

I am finding a problem with SPS, I want my entire SPS to use the same template for eg may be like your website. I have seven navigation links and then many sub area within these areas.

Home
Offices
Office 1
Office 2
Office 3
Programs
Photo Galleries
Forums
Employee Services
News

1. I want a drop down navigation area for these menu items
2. Similar Layout for all the Portal Pages.

Can you advice me how do I go about doing it

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Cory Brooks     Answered On: Jun 01

First, I’m flattered you are directing this to me. In the future I’d direct messages to the list in general as there are many highly qualified individuals who are capable of responding (and more people yields faster results). With that being said, I’ll give you my $.02 while eager to see what the SharePoint experts say…

When you say “like your website”, I’m assuming you’re referring to my blog. The engine I use (.Text) bases everything off a single template. This is something you can achieve within SPS. If you’re looking to make the layout  of all pages  identical, one option would be to limit the area  templates people have access to… do this by removing template  options from the portal  site definition. Heather has an article discussing how you can add lists… this should give you an idea how to remove them… here’s the link: http://heathersolomon.com/blog/articles/1300.aspx (it’s for WSS, but it should still help).

You’ll then want to customize the look & feel of that single area template (or all the templates you keep) to be your common look & feel. Look @ doing this with the global CSS files used by SPS.

Did you have success in searching out a drop-down navigation  system from any of the third party controls you mentioned earlier? If not, you could always buy a non-SharePoint navigation component that did this and then modify the template to provide the navigation you’re looking for via custom code. This isn’t as big of a deal as it sounds… we replaced the left-hand vertical navigation in SPS to give the site admins more control over the UI & logic that came into play to make it work. It’s not a trivial task, but it’s definitely doable.

Answer #2    Answered By: Ruth George     Answered On: Jun 01

I am trying it out... hope it will work

Answer #3    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Jun 01

Please report back to the group your findings… I’m eager to see your results

Answer #4    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Jun 01

I have modified the style sheets for now but I am still trying on
the proper solution for changing the skin in Sharepoint Portal I am
not using the WSS for now... I am also trying to do my own webpart
for the Drop Down Area Menu once I have done it I will make it
available for everyone to download it for free ..

I will keep you and all the other group members posted on my
findings ..

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Entire SPS to use the same template Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: