Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Using Enterprise Library with web parts

Asked By: Aurelio    Date: Mar 06    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1811

We thought about whether it’s ok to put the app.config web part settings in web.config of virtual server. And that too for different web parts we may have different entries. Somehow the idea did not appeal much. So we have thought of implementing a web service which will have proxies to Enterprise library dll’s. This way, neither the EL dll’s need to be stongly named nor we need to touch virtual server’s web.config. I hope that what we are doing here is right!!

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Peter Peterson     Answered On: Mar 06

It was for the reasons you’re outlining that I bypassed the EL for a rather large solution I was working on. Frankly, there were too many dependencies on the EL to make it work within a SP environment. I looked at all the options we had to make it work within a SP env., but it seemed just adding all the functionality into our app  that we needed from the EL (config/data/logging/exception handling) would be easier on maint. As the app would have less external dependencies (and thus, a more atomic design).

Your Web service  method will work, but it also adds a bit of an overhead to each call. If the number of calls is low, the issue is moot… otherwise, something to consider.

Answer #2    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Mar 06

Just out of curiousity, which release are you using? The EL comes with a tool that allows you to edit the config  file, and manage multiple applications in a single config file. That was one of the things that really appealed to me looking at the EL versus the original application blocks. Plus the settings  are consistent in terms of your sinks, you just have to set up each application and the conditions that are unique to them.

Answer #3    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Mar 06

We are using the Jan release..............

Answer #4    Answered By: Harshita Padwal     Answered On: Mar 06

Look for the utility in there, it should be there. It's a GUI interface that lets you open up a config  file and manage all the settings  very easily.

Answer #5    Answered By: Jennifer Jones     Answered On: Mar 06

We are using that utility only for our configuration management.

Answer #6    Answered By: Annie Norris     Answered On: Mar 06

Ok, guess you'll need to decide if using web  services will be workable for you based on the number of calls you'll need to make.

Personally I've found that the EL is very convenient and in the long run easier to work with.

Answer #7    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Mar 06

One other note, you should go ahead and either apply the patches, or upgrade to the June 2005 release. There were some issues with the January release that needed to be fixed. You can find the information about it at this link:

It describes in the notes what patches need to be applied if you want to continue with the Jan release, and also describes the changes in the June release.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Using Enterprise Library with web parts Or get search suggestion and latest updates.