Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Enabling SSL on a front end server

Asked By: Carolyn    Date: Sep 12    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1729

I am adding a new front end server to the existing farm. The existing
WFE has SSL enabled. Can I use the same certificate for the new front
end server or do I need to request a new one?

Share: 

7 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Karla Morrison     Answered On: Sep 12

In our testing environment we ran into some issues with reusing the cert – a separate cert is recommended by Microsoft.

Answer #2    Answered By: Patricia Richardson     Answered On: Sep 12

use the existing  one...........................

Answer #3    Answered By: Alexandra Patterson     Answered On: Sep 12

In my first response to this, I mistakenly assumed you have more than one IIS site. If this is the case, then my original post stands but I’ll defer to others with more experience with a single IIS site.

Answer #4    Answered By: Christop Mcfadden     Answered On: Sep 12

If you are creating another front-end to the same Portal or WSS top level site (IIS Virtual Server), you will need to use the same certificate. The certificate  should be matched to the URL that you are using, so would be applicable to both IIS Virtual Servers (1 on each front  end box).

If you are running multiple Portals / WSS top level sites (on different ports) you will need a certificate for each URL

Answer #5    Answered By: Stefanie Ruiz     Answered On: Sep 12

You'll need to create an NLB IP address/host name combination and then get a
cert for that IP/name. Otherwise, there's little sense in adding  the second WFE
server.

Answer #6    Answered By: Damon Garner     Answered On: Sep 12

So how does DNS resolve to both servers without implementing NLB?

Answer #7    Answered By: Royce Orr     Answered On: Sep 12

You would have to implement load balancing if you are using the same certificate  on both servers (just like you mentioned in your previous post -- this is usually what you would do with multiple front  ends for the same portal in the same farm.), If you are using different URLs (even different URLs to the same portal) you would need different certificates.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Enabling SSL on a front end server Or get search suggestion and latest updates.

Tagged: