Logo 
Search:

Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

need to eliminate web part errors or extract documents "behind"

Asked By: Marcella    Date: Jan 04    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 732

I have absolutely no experience with SharePoint products. A high school hired me to be its new IT coordinator. The school has two WSS sites that are strictly for in-house use: one for school staff only, the other for faculty and students. Several weeks ago, this error message started appearing on various pages on the staff-only site:

Web Part Error: One of the properties of the Web Part has an incorrect format. Windows SharePoint Services cannot deserialize the Web Part. Check the format of the properties and try again.

Each web part that displays this error is supposed to display links to other pages in the site, each of which contains announcements, documents or both.

I’m now under the gun to either restore the functionality of the erring web parts or extract some of the documents that are stored on one of the linked pages BEFORE MARCH 13. I’ve scoured the Internet and found many references to this error, but those references are either grievances without solutions or solutions that are abstract and aimed at knowledgeable SharePoint administrators. I’m the kind of IT guy that learns by following a well-communicated step-by-step procedure that makes no assumptions about the knowledge of any executors of the procedure.

I had privately bugged Rob Bogue last month for direction to a good source of SharePoint technical knowledge, upon which he directed me here. (Many thanks, Rob!) Can anyone help me?

Share: 

4 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Kristina Cox     Answered On: Jan 04

Are these custom Web Parts or are did the Web Parts come with
SharePoint?

I presume that they are custom Web Parts and someone has changed the
properties that the Web Part collects without first purging the data
housed in the database for the Web Parts.

Point me as a few of the URLs that claim to have a solution and I will
interpret for you.

Answer #2    Answered By: Kalyan Pujari     Answered On: Jan 04

Since I’m short on knowledge, I can’t say for sure, but I get the impression from our WSS sites  that they’re totally vanilla and devoid of custom web  parts. Given the schedule that my predecessor had, I’d be downright shocked if he had found  the time to hunt down and deploy custom web parts, and he definitely didn’t create any.

BTW, the server hosting this WSS site  is a domain controller running Windows Server 2003 R1. The home page and at least one deeper-level page are displaying the web part  error message.

In tracking down those links  for you, Todd, I was reminded that I did a little bit of troubleshooting already. In following the instructions at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826786, I discovered that some of the permissions were missing, and reassigned them. I stopped and restarted the MSSQL$SHAREPOINT and sharepoint  Timer Service services  afterward, but the problem persisted.

I thought I had bookmarked all of the links to those abstract solutions  for my problem, but I didn’t! L The only link that I can find in a hurry is blogs.sagestone.net/.../4451.aspx.

I stumbled upon http://support.sharepoint.apptix.net/Lists/Shared Customer Support/DispForm.aspx?ID=364&Source=http%3A%2F%2Fsupport%2Esharepoint%2Eapptix%2Enet%2FLists%2FShared%2520Customer%2520Support%2FFlat%2Easpx just now, and I’m wondering if it hints at another possible solution…

Answer #3    Answered By: Willard Valenzuela     Answered On: Jan 04

Have you tried removing the Web Parts and putting them back onto the
page?

Answer #4    Answered By: Allison Stewart     Answered On: Jan 04

I have not yet tried to remove and reinsert the web  parts. (I barely figured out how to do that after my previous message, without a manual!)

Here are two partial screenshots. I added commentary and highlights in red (excluding URLs).

A little detective work revealed what is missing:

I’ll try to determine which web parts  are responsible, then remove and reinsert, and report back with the results.

Tagged: