Sharepoint Forum

Ask Question   UnAnswered
Home » Forum » Sharepoint       RSS Feeds

Easy Developer question

Asked By: Sebastian    Date: Aug 29    Category: Sharepoint    Views: 1748

I'm coming from the Admin/infrastructure sharepoint space with little development exp with the sps/wss obj model.

One of our application developer managers asked me the question if its possible to pull in variables into urls to pass data on to applications. We have SPS2003/AD/Shared Services/WSS

Here is what I was asked (ill do my best):

For example:
- My ntuser name is jsmith
- My cost code is 004
- My department# is 123
- and my Employee number is 678

We want a URL on a sharepoint page that points to a web application that our users use. However, the URL is built with variables that is read either from the user profile, ad attributes, etc.

Is there a way to customize the URL so when I click on it, it can pass attribute values as arguments to my application login? so it looks like this:

So, for each user that clicks the URL it includes these arguments...

Excuse my layman description, but if anyone knows where I am going with this and can pass on a whitepaper or some sample code I would GREATLY appreciate it.

3 Answers Found

Answer #1    Answered By: Eliza Hutchinson     Answered On: Aug 29

Yes, sure. You can pass  the information as a query string.

Answer #2    Answered By: Lesley Tate     Answered On: Aug 29

this sounds promising..

do you have sample code, articles, or whitepaper specific to what you are referring to?

(remember, i am not a HTML/Developer.. but I can pass  on code  samples to our team here so they understasnd)

Answer #3    Answered By: Chris Daniel     Answered On: Aug 29

SharePoint ignores querystring variables  that it isn't using. So, you
can certainly tack them onto any URL using any conventional development

Didn't find what you were looking for? Find more on Easy Developer question Or get search suggestion and latest updates.